ISO, with the collaboration of the Metropolitan Opera Guild and the Martina Arroyo Foundation, has created OPERA 360. This will be an exciting and enriching experience for all of ISO’s young musicians. By looking at opera from various perspectives, students will gain new insights into this art form.
A focus opera has been chosen for each of ISO’s ensembles: Il Trovatore (Morningside and Queens East Orchestras), Abduction from the Seraglio (Trinity Florentine and Turtle Bay Orchestras), Le Nozze di Figaro (Carnegie Hill Orchestra), Tosca (Symphonic Band), Turandot (Concert Orchestra), and Manon Lescaut (ISO Symphony).
Students will experience their focus opera in many different ways:
- Performing: Each ensemble will learn and perform an excerpt from its focus opera.
- Musicians from the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra will coach the Symphony and Concert Orchestra in opera excerpts and other repertory.
- The ISO Symphony, Concert Orchestra, and Symphonic Band will perform their opera program on May 18 at Jazz at Lincoln Center’s Frederick P. Rose Hall. Young professional singers from the Martina Arroyo Foundation’s program will perform arias with the orchestras.
- The five junior ensembles will perform operatic selections on May 15 at Symphony Space.
- Ensembles will also perform free community concerts in a variety of locations, bringing operatic music and arias with full orchestral accompaniment to community centers for children, seniors, and others with limited access to this music.
- Studying: The Metropolitan Opera Guild will provide students with study guides to the focus operas and send a teaching artist to present and review the study guides with our students.
- Experiencing: ISO’s young musicians will attend performances at the Metropolitan Opera of their focus opera.
OPERA 360 will provide ISO’s 355 students with a rich experience of opera, as well as bringing the beauty and joy of operatic music to an audience of more than 2,000, including hundreds of public school children.
Funding of $20,000 is needed for tickets for students to attend the Met, fees for coaches from the Met Opera Orchestra and the vocal soloists, and to produce the concerts. Donations in any amount are welcome!